Subject: Re: Adding new disk; partitions not empty
To: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
From: Chris Brown <chrsbrwn@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1999 15:35:43
"Christopher P. Gill" wrote:

> > As I'm sure somebody else will say as well, this is a (rather old and
> > longstanding) bug. df reports the size/used of each partition (except the
> > first) as that of the current partition plus the previous partition in the
> > partition table.
>
> Is this bug specific to the mac68k port?  I didn't find any reference to
> it in the FAQ document, although I could have missed it.

As far as I know, it is specific to mac68k. I could be wrong :)

> The only python I know is Monty Python, and I don't have perl on my system
> yet - one of the reasons is because I need more disk space...

Actually, python (the language) is named after Monty Python (the comedy
troupe). Guido Van Rossum, the creator of python has quite a fondness
for British humor (it is not unusual, actually, it's encouraged, to use
Monty Python references in code documentation--spam and eggs are usually
put in place of foo and bar, for example.)
<http://www.python.org>  for more info.

As to not having either perl or python: it should be possible to do the
same thing in awk, which is part of the base distribution. It would
probably be painful, though :)

> However, it seems as though it'd be just as easy for some knowledgeable
> person to patch 'df' to do the right thing.  Or am I just a little naive?

I believe (my memory is hazy, it's been awhile) that the problem was not
with df per se, but where it gets it's info from (forgive my
imprecision; I am far from a kernel hacker...)

--
Chris Brown -- Macintosh networking/Web development
<chrsbrwn@mindspring.com> <http://www.mindspring.com/~chrsbrwn>