Subject: Re: newfs gotcha, was can a partition be expanded?
To: John Valdes <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1999 12:16:07
On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, John Valdes wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman writes:
> Actually, for repartitioning, is the BSD disklabel command safe to run
> on Mac disks, or must one use a MacOS disk partitioning utility?  If
> disklabel is safe, then the complete procedure would be:

I don't consider disklabel safe. AFAIK, it will overwrite information in
the first sector, including the magic value which indicates that the disk
has macos partitions on it. :-)

>     - reboot into single-user mode (by setting the appropriate option
>       in the NetBSD Booter)
>     - umount /usr
>     - dump -0 ... /usr (if you haven't already)
>     - disklabel -e /dev/rsdNx
>     - newfs, fsck, mount, restore as above.

Be careful with newfs. To make a filesystem the installer and booter can
deal with, you need to use the -O option (which makes an older
filesystem). Otherwise the installer will go bonkers & probably destroy
your partition. :-)

Take care,

Bill