Subject: Re: SunOS binaries on m68k platforms.
To: Sune Stjerneby <sst@hermes.koege-gym.dk>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1999 13:02:50
Sune Stjerneby writes:

> What do I need to do in order to run SunOS binaries on my m68k-based NetBSD
> machines? I have the complete SunOS 4.1.1 distribution extracted and setup
> all the compat-stuff, but to no avail - binaries die instantly whether static
> or dynamic.

First, your kernel must have the option "COMPAT_SUNOS" compiled into
it (this is compiled into the GENERIC kernel, at least on mac68k).
For static linked executables, that's all that's needed.  For dynamic
executables, you'll need to create a directory hierarchy under
/emul/sunos containing usr/lib, usr/5lib, etc and holding the sunos
shared libs and ld.so (see the compat_sunos manpage for details).

Is any error message given when the SunOS binaries die?

> are these [sun3]
> the only boxen which, under NetBSD, will run SunOS binaries?
> [...]
> I've tried on '040 Amigas, NeXTs and Mac boxen, all running NetBSD 1.4.

I've run sun3 SunOS binaries on NetBSD/mac68k 1.4 (on an '030 based
Mac), both static and dynamic.  Are your NeXT and Mac '030 or '040
based?

John