Subject: Re: Have DNS entry: was networking.
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@guy.chonju21.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1999 09:28:06

> The MX record goes on the domain name server for your domain. That's
> easy. The hard part is getting someone with another machine to handle
> _your_ mail. If you don't have an account on another machine or
> control of another machine, you might as well skip it.
  The same guy that gave me the DNS entry name set up a linux host in
the next room.  He left the root password with people who don't know how to
spell unix, so they can add users.	Because there is
really no one here in this building that can be sytem administrator for
that machine.  If you can believe it, I'm by far the most qualified.
  I'll ask that professor about the MX stuff.  Because sometimes I want
to shutdown and use Mac OS for some reasons. It seems like it shouldn't be
a problem to have that linux host hold my mail while this computer is down.

  please  stand by for more questions-

		Thanks,
			Guy

As long is your
> machine is connected most of the time, you shouldn't miss much mail.
> If you only reboot to test kernels, say, a sender would get a "no
> route to host" while you were down, but then he's supposed to keep
> retrying for a day or two.
>
> You can try sending a message to fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com on a weekday
> afternoon CDT to see how that works. You'll get some kind of error
> from your sendmail at preset intervals for up to a couple of days (if
> I could stay of the 'net for that long!) Since I'm really only
> connected for a few hours a day, it would be rude to advertise that as
> my email address. If I had bought a domain name, I could ask my isp to
> mx for me, but since I only have a static ip via a "grandfather
> clause" I'm not going to push my luck.

Guy Santiglia  Quadra 610, 50 MHZ, NetBSD 1.4!
South Korea