Subject: Re: mounting HFS disks
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/1999 15:47:05
Frederick Bruckman writes:
> On 25 Jun 1999, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
> > any way to mount an HFS partition under BSD? it would be very useful, also
> > because i am quite running low on disk space.
>
> Try installing the sysutils/hfsutils package. For general information
> on the package system, start at
> <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html>

I recall from a year or two ago that someone was working on HFS
support for the kernel; anyone know the status of this?  Just
curious... :)  (hfsutils works quite well for my needs, but direct
mounting of HFS volumes would be neat.)

> > besides, i have a Mac][ and i see that at startup both flobby drives are
> > recognized, if i put in a 800k (mac) floppy it even get recognized.
> > how do i use flopies thereafter?
> > can i use Mac floppies?
>
> Maybe. If so, you would have to use hfsutils, as there is no native
> support for HFS.

Yes, hfsutils works w/ Mac formatted 800k floppies.  Just use 'hmount
/dev/rfd0a' or 'hmount /dev/rfd1a' to "mount" the 1st or 2nd drive,
resp.  You can then use the hcd, hls, hcopy, etc commands w/ the
floppy.  When done, use humount to "unmount" the floppy, and 'eject
floppy' to eject the diskette (use 'eject /dev/rfd1a' for the 2nd
drive).

BTW, hfsutils works with zip drives as well.

John