Subject: Re: Have DNS entry: was networking.
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@guy.chonju21.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/1999 07:39:37

--0-1005204226-930400777=:4434

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

>     A professor  from the university came to our building to set
> up a PC as a linux driven server.  He also gave me two domain names for
> my quadra.  This might be a bad idea, but I am going to try and use my
> quadra610 to receive my email directly. (notice the new email address).

If one is good, two is better!

> q610bsd.chonju21.net  & guy.chonju21.et.
                                       ^  typo?

>   I was reading the networking FAQ and it talked about having an MX entry
> on your host.  And if your machine is not always on the net to have MX entry
> on another host that will hold messages and foward them to you when your machine
> comes back up.  It doesn't explain much about this though.  Does any one
> know about how to set up another machine to hold email while the  receiving
> machine is down?

All I know about dns and routing, I learned from the O'Reilly book,
"TCP/IP and Networking". There is a named.conf(5) man page, but you
shouldn't have to worry about that. That's for your professor to deal
with, and it looks like he did! The attached nslookup session shows
that guy.chonju21.net MX's to chonju21.net. Since you have no reason
to run your own nameserver, as I do, you would run nslookup by

nslookup - cobalt.tooman.com

(Note the "-".) All you need to do is run sendmail, if you aren't
already. The default configuration should be fine. We'll find out when
I send this email!

--0-1005204226-930400777=:4434
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--0-1005204226-930400777=:4434--