Subject: RE: can a partition be expanded?
To: 'ender@macbsd.com' <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Fischer, Roger <RFischer@PanAmSat.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1999 16:57:31
> Fischer, Roger wrote:
> > Hello NetBSD'ers
> >
> > It it possible to non-destructively expand my /usr
> > partition to utilize this new space?
>
> > I also have a DAT drive (DDS-1?) that I have not used
> > on NetBSD yet.  I could TAR up /usr to DAT, combine
> > and reformat my /usr partition, then restore the backup.
>
> no.  although if you have enough room, you can tar the whole thing up, put
> it on some other partition, expand the partition, rerun mkfs on it, and
> then untar the archive back on it.  of course, i wouldn't recommend this
> as there are a couple of rather nasty gotchas in the sequence i just
> listed (like the fact that tar is currently in /usr/bin).
>
>  oh, yeah, this is what i meant (that'll teach me to not read ahead ;-)
> i'd make sure that your DAT drive actually works with netbsd first, tho.

Would it hurt to temporarily copy the "tar" and "gzip" to the /bin
directory?  Any other programs that I'd need?  Do I need to mount
the tape drive or just copy to that device?  Is there a good readme
on tape drives?  I haven't used one with unix before

something like:     tar -czvf (tape-device) /usr