Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4 on a PowerBook 520c
To: Derek Carroll <dcarroll@interaccess.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/24/1999 00:28:56
Derek Carroll wrote:
> I've tried installing the latest NetBSD onto an old PowerBook 520c, and I
> can't seem to get it to boot properly.  No matter what I try, I seem to end
> up hanging during startup of NetBSD with the following message:
>
> root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
> (with a solid block cursor sitting on the next line)
>
> The partitions are correct, I checked with disklabel in the installer app.
> I ran Mkfs_1.45 before installing and everything...
>
> Is there a special workaround for the newly-supported PB500-series, or am I
> just doing (or not doing) something dumb?

is your hard drive actually on sd0a?  you can look further up in the boot
message to be sure.  do you have a swap partition?  were there any
error-like messages during the boot?  you've basically reached the point
during boot where init should start running /etc/rc, so i'm not quite sure
why it would hang...

later.

colin