Subject: Re: networking, was Mac on Lan
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1999 18:51:50
At 11:08 PM -0700 6/22/99, Ken Nakata wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:56:21 +0900 (KST), guy santiglia
><fredfl2@soback.kornet.net> wrote:
>>   So my email address would be something like this:
>>
>>   fredfl2@210.217.124.187 ?
>
>Yup.

Hmmm.  Usually if it's a valid IP address there is *some* kind of name for
it.  I see I can ping that address, but it has no existing reverse DNS
entry.  I guess you're stuck.

The suggestion about using a free DNS server has problems.  If you don't
have a reverse DNS entry then many systems will reject connections from
your machine.  For example the tcpwrappers package (included, but not
enabled, by default on NetBSD) will automatically reject any connection
from a machine whose reverse lookup does not match some forward lookup.
New sendmail versions likely do something similar.  The suggestion about
making your machine name be the IP number is probably a workable workaround.