Subject: Re: networking, was Mac on Lan
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: guy santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1999 14:56:21
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:06:49 +0900 (KST), guy santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net> wrote:
> > 	What do I have to do to get that number 210.217.124.187 associated with
> > a name that anyone can enter like this "ftp://fredfl3.howon.ac.kr" in their
> > browser and find my ftp server.
>
> You have to ask your school's nameserver admin to add a DNS entry for
> your host to their DNS database, which I doubt they would in a school
> environment.

  I was afraid that might be the case.  I have trouble communicating with
people here and the admin is at a different location so I haven't asked this
question there yet.

> > I used to use my ISP to send and receive mail.  But I was thinking, now that I have
> > this connection to the network of our school and a fixed address, can't I just
> > have the mail sent right to the quadra?   Would it also be possible to have
> > different email addressed for every user account on this NetBSD quadra?
>
> Yes and yes.  However, you'd still have to use the IP address instead
> of a domain name without a DNS entry.
>
> Ken

  So my email address would be something like this:

  fredfl2@210.217.124.187 ?

I was thinking I would need to have the send mail daemon started in rc.conf. Do I
need to do that?

  I don't mind having the funny email address if it is free.

	Guy