Subject: Re: networking, was Mac on Lan
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/22/1999 23:51:01
On Jun 23,  2:06pm, guy santiglia wrote:
>  I set up an ftp server on my  quadra and now I have a permanent
>connection to the internet  and a fixed IP address.  But to use the ftp server
>I have to enter in the numbers: 210.217.124.187 I don't think I have a name
>associated with that number.
>	What do I have to do to get that number 210.217.124.187 associated with
>a name that anyone can enter like this "ftp://fredfl3.howon.ac.kr" in their
>browser and find my ftp server.

My system is on a cable modem, yet I have my own domain name.  What I did
is buy a domain name from Internic, and use GraniteCanyon
( http://soa.granitecanyon.com ) as the nameserver.  Two caveats: you
cannot do a reverse mapping (addr -> name) this way, and GraniteCanyon
is sometimes flaky.  But it's free. :)

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

You don't sew with a fork, so I see no reason to eat with knitting
needles.
		-- Miss Piggy, on eating Chinese Food