Subject: Re: tar when installing sets (Re: 1.4 on LC 575..)
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
From: None <bob@kunk.jriver.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1999 10:10:26
User SUNAGAWA Keiki says:
> bob@kunk.jriver.com wrote:
>
> bob> I partitioned the drive with the patched apple hd setup
> bob> util, made the filesystem (80 megs swap sd1b and 2g
> bob> root&usr sd1a) with mkfs145 and went to install the
> bob> base. After some period of time the install gets "write
> bob> errors" and dies.
>
> hmm, is app-size of the installer in the Get Info dialog
> related to the symptom?

I was thinking of that also. I have 36 megs of ram so I
bumped the app size up to 25. It still foobared but I'm not sure
it was at the same amount of data xfered. I can try to test this
further if it would be useful...

> tar has -p option to preserve original files' mode bits in
> extraction.  Some application programs including xterm need
> to be owned by root and be setuid'ed.  Of course this should
> be done as a super user.

Thanks, I've come into this from a SYSV background and didn't know about that
option which SYSV doesn't have by default. I'm more used to using cpio.

Bob
--
Robert E. Brose II    N0QBJ
http://www.jriver.com/~bob/