Subject: Re: Hardware question - drive case.
To: None <cruller@unicom.net>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/1999 14:44:13
At 1:59 PM -0500 6/15/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 cruller@unicom.net wrote:

(Snip)

>> 1. get the power from the supply out cord bundle to a scsi drive power
>> cord bundle and make sure the supply is giving 5v.
>
>There should already be at least one disk drive power cable (it usually
>has one red, two black, and one yellow wire). Fry's has power splitters.
>Grab three of them, and your one plug will fan out to 4 plugs. ;-)

The power supply in a II has one connector that plugs into one end of the
mother board.  Near the other end of the computer where the drives are is a
plug on the mother board for taping power for the drives.  So the mother
board would have to stay in the box to still have regular plugs.

(Snip)

>> 3. determine how to turn the power on.  Would a momentary switch get it
>> going or is a perminent connection needed.  I suspect there is an adb
>> relay switch on the motherboard that trigers the power supply. A new
>> scheme would be needed
>>
>> 4. determine how to power off.

Keeping the mother board in the box solves this problem.  The power switch
on the back would still work, for solving both 3 and 4.  Just don't have
the drives hook up to the mother board and the Mac will just sit there
waiting for a system disk.  Or come up with some reason to keep the Mac II
running (attach an old monitor and run a clock program from a floppy disk,
for example) while the parasite drives are using it's space and power.

In this solution I'd route the new SCSI connections through a hole for a
NuBus card.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.3 on a Mac Quadra 800