Subject: Re: scsi problems (error #5)
To: Pedro G. Gonnet <pgonnet@student.ethz.ch>
From: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/1999 11:27:51
On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Pedro G. Gonnet wrote:

> > I have no solution but it seems to me that I got similarly pb (I am not
> > shure) on a LC475 with NetBSD 1.3.3 install (second installation after a
> > crash du to a misuse of NDD on the MacOS partition :-(. I posted this pb on
> > fr.comp.os.bsd and fr.comp.os.unix.mac.
>
> was the disk "up" when it happened? i suspect this may be the problem...
> to boot i use vst-format to wake up the disk and the booter-program.
> apple's hd sc setup won't wake up the disk, yet once it's whirring,
> it'll work with it. could this be a problem in the way the mac handles
> scsi disks?

If this is the problem, it might be because the drive has a "wait-spin"
jumper (usually on on the underside) set, which will cause the drive to
wait for a "start"-type signal before getting into the game.  If it's too
tedious to pull the drive out and look, it might be possible to get a
manual and/or diagram from the WWWeb site of the manufacturer.  Actually,
you should probably try to do this in either case.

"Don't die wondering..."                http://www.cldc.howard.edu/~cpg
                                              email: cpg@scs.howard.edu
chris out-              Christopher P. Gill
  peace.        C.L.D.C. Senior System Operator (Ret.)