Subject: Re: kernel building, was: xmcd broken under 1.4?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/1999 12:17:57
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:
>
> > file and try again, should I delete the ../compile/mykern directory completely
> > before typing the "config mykern" command?  Or can I leave the old
> > ../compile/mykern directory there and just proceed as normal?:
>
> maybe. :) Some of the options are "defopt'd", so for example, changing
> ADB_DEBUG recompiles the right files even without a make depend. If you're
> not sure (and it doesn't work the first time) you should just clean it
> out.

Look at the top of the kernel Makefile. There are a bunch of defines. On
an i386, I see MSGBUFSILE, LKM, DIAGNOSTIC, DEBUG, NS, and MAXUSERS.

If your kernel config change changes one of these parameters - a parameter
only listed in the Makefile, you need to make clean before making. If
however these identifiers stay the same, you can just make.

The problem is that object files which use these defenitions don't
explicitly tell the make system that they rely on this defenition. So make
doesn't know to remake these object files.

The opt_*.h files are a set towards fixing this. Object files include a
particular .h file which has these definitions. Thus the "depend" system
can set it up so that the .o files get re-made when the config changes.

Take care,

Bill