Subject: Re: kernel building, was: xmcd broken under 1.4?
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/1999 07:06:46
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

>   Well, I've been having trouble getting a kernel to boot with both  ncrscsi and
> sbc lines commented out.  My boot message shows "esp0 at obio"
> I have an external hardrive, and an internal apple cdrom drive.
> Is it possible that I need the "ncrscsi0" line left in the kernel
> configuration file?

No. I've made numerous kernels with only "esp0..." on both Quadras.

> file and try again, should I delete the ../compile/mykern directory completely
> before typing the "config mykern" command?  Or can I leave the old
> ../compile/mykern directory there and just proceed as normal?:

maybe. :) Some of the options are "defopt'd", so for example, changing
ADB_DEBUG recompiles the right files even without a make depend. If you're
not sure (and it doesn't work the first time) you should just clean it
out.

> Has anyone found a sure fire way to build kernels that will boot that don't
> have the "debug" feature enabled?

Maybe. Scott Reynolds supplied a patch to the timing calculation that
seems to work for me. It's already in current. I'd like to think there's
going to be another patch against 1.4, or a 1.4.1, but I don't know.