Subject: Re: option key as alt under X?
To: None <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/1999 14:16:05
John Valdes wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a 3 button mouse on my Mac and so no longer need the
> option-{left,right}-arrow mouse button emulation.  Is there anyway to
> reclaim use of the option key as say an Alt key under X?  Can this be
> currently controlled by the X server (the Xmac68k manpage mentions
> a '-optionmouse' option for enabling mouse button emulation, but not
> an option to disable)?

the server doesn't currently do the emulation (although it probably should
in the future...)

> Taking a quick look through the kernel sources, it looks like the
> emulation is actually done by the kernel, which implies that the X
> server can't do this, unless there's some ioctl() that can toggle the
> emulation off and on (if there is no such ioctl(), maybe it'd be
> useful to add one... ;) ).  If mouse button emulation has to be turned
> off in the kernel, is it sufficient to define AED_MSEMUL as 0x0 in
> dev/aedvar.h and recompile (and play w/ xmodmap as necessary)?
> dev/aedvar.h currently has:
>
>   #define AED_MSEMUL      0x1             /* emulate mouse buttons */

that should be sufficient, yes.  the original idea was to set it up so
that a flag passed to the aed driver at config time would set the
emulation.  something like:

aed*    at adb?	flags 0x1

i think scott wanted the default to be on, tho, so that's how it is now.
in all reality, the flag should probably be patchable as well.  there are
a number of improvements on the ADB subsystem left to do, tho, including
getting wscons attachment fully working.

let me know if you have any more questions.

later.

colin