Subject: Re: First BSD system
To: Daniel Knight <dknight@bakerbooks.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/03/1999 11:47:51
Daniel Knight wrote:
> I have a nice collection of older Macs at home and would like to try
> MacBSD.
>
> 1) What's the best way to get everything I need?

ftp or cdrom if you can get one (and you have a drive)

> 2) How much RAM, hard drive space will it require?

take a look at the 1.4 INSTALL doc.  i've noted the sizes of all the
distributed files there.

> 3) Given the following, which will be the easiest to set up:
>    - SE/30

easy (requires MODE32, tho)

>    - IIcx w/Apple video card (Toby?)

just as easy

>    - IIsi

just as easy

>    - LC

won't work with netbsd...it only has a 68000 processor, i think (unless
this is the machine with the 68020 and no 68851)

>    - LC II

this one might have some problems.  there were some recent reports of the
preliminary audio support causing this machine to hang, but i'm not quite
sure what the current status is.  it _should_ boot, tho.

> All have 8+ MB of memory. I plan on putting BSD on an external drive. All
> but SE/30 have Dayna ethernet cards. (SE/30 should arrive next week, so I
> don't know which ethernet card it has.)

cool....good luck!

> 4) What's a good starter project?

well, that all depends on your level of expertise and how fast a learner
you are :-)

later.

colin