Subject: Dyna Board Ethernet Probs
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Waite <simon@psionics.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/1999 22:48:12
Hi There :)

I've got a Dynaport E/II nubus card in my Mac IIci which works find with
MacOS 7.5
I belive its a 8390 based card (Because there is a big chip marked DP8390DN
:)
The 1.4 Kernel recognises this correctly as ae0, and prints its ethernet MAC
address
Unfortunatly any attempt at upping the interface halts the kernal.
I had a similar problem when I attempted Linux; though this was more
fustrating, first
it WOULDNT work then I stuck the onboard monitor into 1bpp as suggested by
*your* FAQ,
and then it worked fine, for about a complete day of uptime, and then halted
and refused
to work again.

To further help identification it is marked:

P/N 9800102-00 REV:E
S/N H 20920272

and also

s/n 03081F

I have tryed all the kernels in the mac 68K arch dir, as well as the colour
based kernels
all behave in the same way (well the ones that boot that is)

I have tryed the card in all three Nubus slots with no change in results.

The command I use to up the interface is:

ifconfig ae0 inet 192.1.1.69 netmask 255.255.255.0

HELP! :-)

Also I have found if MacBSD Crashes, MacOS refuses to mount any HFS
partitions on that drive.
Its partitioned as
400Mb AU/X Root&Usr
30Mb AU/X Swap
30Mb MacOS/HFS

I planned to have the MacBSD Booter on the HFS partition in case I moved the
Hard Disk to
another Mac. Luckily Its on an external drive as the only way I have found
to reset a
partition table on a mac is to boot linux, and zero out the first few K with
'dd'

That said, I've made my mine up to stick with Mac NetBSD and I hope you can
help me
get it on my network!

Best Regards,
-Simon