Subject: Re: New installation report
To: William Carrel <n9640093@cc.wwu.edu>
From: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/28/1999 03:05:52
On Thu, 27 May 1999, William Carrel wrote:

> I don't know about your ADSL service, but my service here from USWest works
> with DHCP.  So the IP addresses are assigned dynamically.  All I've done is
> started running dhclient on my NetBSD boxes and on my linux/ppc box.  And
> everything is set to go.

Here, Bell Atlantic gives static IP addresses for DSL users.  That might
change, but for now it's cool  :-)

[SNIP]

> This is confusing, so I'll try to reiterate.  Setup dhclient.conf to get an
> address for 'sn0' 'ae0' or whatever your ethernet interface is.  Then also set
> it to alias an internal network IP (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc.).  I forget
> exactly what the .conf looks like, but if you read the man pages/howto's they
> explain exactly about this kind of setup with aliasing a second address.

OK, it sounds like your internal network (based on the 'private' IP
address ranges) can exist separately of the external net, and then your
interface also gets a second 'public' address by DHCP.  I'll pass on
vizualising the file specifics for now.

Thanks.

**

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> Yes, this is very doable :). You'd use /etc/ifaliases to set the secondary
> IP addie. You need to create a file /etc/ifaliasesif it doesn't exist.
>
> It should be in the form:
> address interface netmask
> ie.
> 192.168.1.1 sn0 255.255.255.0
>
> That way, you'd get the "real" IP for the Ethernet card from the DHCP in
> the cable box, but the 192 IP would also be active on that interface. The
> rest of the IPNAT HowTo should work as normal. I have a static IP so I
> don't remember what to put in ipnat.conf for dynamic ones offhand.

I've got a static IP address here too.  I guess I'd just have
/etc/ifaliases as you show above.

Thanks.

"Don't die wondering..."                http://www.cldc.howard.edu/~cpg
                                              email: cpg@scs.howard.edu
chris out-              Christopher P. Gill
  peace.        C.L.D.C. Senior System Operator (Ret.)