Subject: Re: New installation report
To: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
From: William Carrel <n9640093@cc.wwu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/27/1999 16:15:39
> Greetings, all.
>  I've been lurking on this list for a week or two, and before
> I ask questions, I figure that I should at least say first what I'm
> I've got an ADSL connection, so right now I'm logged in on the NetBSD box
> from my workstation here at work.  I've got the NetBSD box and my PowerMac
> (w/ more to come) on a hub, with the DSL modem on the hub's uplink port.
> I've only been assigned one IP address, and have yet to try "borrowing"
> another one (yeah, I know it's naughty) to see if the DSL modem would
> allow it.  I have determined that the DSL modem will pass packets from
> either machine (same IP address) without being reset, so it apparently
> doesn't latch to only the first active MAC address after power-up.

I don't know about your ADSL service, but my service here from USWest works
with DHCP.  So the IP addresses are assigned dynamically.  All I've done is
started running dhclient on my NetBSD boxes and on my linux/ppc box.  And
everything is set to go.

Except... that USWest has this weird server that seems to want to assign IP's
on separate subnets for all my machines.  So all traffic between them has to go
out the DSL bridge (they call it a modem, but it's really a ethernet bridge).
That makes things really slow.  My solution has been to put an alias entry in
my dhclient.conf.  So all my home machines are 10.x.x.x when they talk to each
other, and the bridge (correctly) ignores these packets, and then when I want
to use the standard addresses they use the default gateway stuff I'm assigned
through DHCP.

This is confusing, so I'll try to reiterate.  Setup dhclient.conf to get an
address for 'sn0' 'ae0' or whatever your ethernet interface is.  Then also set
it to alias an internal network IP (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc.).  I forget
exactly what the .conf looks like, but if you read the man pages/howto's they
explain exactly about this kind of setup with aliasing a second address.

As for the MacOS side... I dunno.  Supposedly the newer versions of Open
Transport can handle IP aliasing, but I haven't tried it yet.  There are some
TIL articles that explain how to setup secondary addresses but it claims you
can only do it if both addresses are static, not if one is dynamic.

Hope this helps somewhat -- Andy