Subject: Re: How should I build Postgres?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/1999 14:56:02
At 12:16 PM -0700 5/26/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Wed, 26 May 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>

>> Something *else* you mean |-(
>
>Yep!
>
>> We need more specifics from him to speculate further.  (As you said in the
>> first place.)
>
>Does the TAS instruction need hardware support?

Well, sort-of.  It needs a 68000 family CPU. ;-)

I actually wrote a version of the spinlock support routines two postgres
versions ago.  The trouble is there were some other bugs in the initdb
routines.  I note that the patch includes one patch like that and the DEC
Alpha support has wrung out some other problems with initdb.  (You can also
disable spinlocks in favor of semaphores as Colin tried a while ago with
similar results.)