Subject: Installing 1.4 on a Quadra 605....almost
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/1999 14:52:51
Has anyone tried 1.4 with a quadra 605 or LC475 yet?

I have a Q605 with a full 040...yesterday I tried to install NetBSD
1.4.  The general play was to add the base and kernel sets from the
installer, then do the rest of the job from within BSD.  I'm upgrading
from 1.3.2.

After installing the base and kern sets, I attempted to boot
single-user.  I think there's something *strange* happening with the
video mapping.

The boot messages begin to appear on the first available "line" at the
top of the screen the screen.  However, once they hit the bottom and
start scrolling, the logical "top" of the screenspace seems to become
the 17th line of display (at the console).  What rolls up from the
bottom is a lot of rectangularly shaped junk.... but the first 16 lines
stay put.

I've copied the boot message by hand; this is what I've gotten:

   Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68K
   Getting mapping from mmu
   System RAM: 37748736 bytes in 9216 pages
		   Low=0x0  High=0x2400000
   On-Board video at addr 0xf9000000 (phys 0xf9000000) len 0x100000
   Done.
   Bootstrapping the pmap system
   Pmap bootstrapped
   Moving ROM BASE from 0x40800000 to 0x988000
   Video Address 0xf9000000 --> 0xb880000
   Preserving 360022 bytes of a.out symbol table
     ---- a few lines of copyright info ----
     ---- a few more lines obliterated when the junk rolled up ---
   ms0 at adb0 addr 3: 1-button, 100 dpi mouse
   adb0 addr 4: Wacom Artpad II unsupported
   ms1 at adb0 addr 3: 1-button, 100 dpi mouse
   asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound chip
   indvid0 at obio f9029000: DABF video subsystem, monitor sense 1

(these numbers stayed consistent, with the exception of once, when
line 5 read:

   On Board video at addr 0x51501000 (phys 0xf9001000) len 0xff0000

As my first attempt was a single-user boot, I thought the machine had
hung.  Becasue of the scrolling phenemenon, I could not see the area
where the cursor would have been.  Thinking I might have fallen into
the debugger, I typed 'reboot', pressed return, and the thing
rebooted.

Attempt two gave the same results.

For attempt three, I tried a multi-user boot.  Surprise -- it wasn't
hanging!  Xdm kicked in eventually.

X Windows does not draw the entire screen, nor does it retain the 16
lines that the console did.  Rather -- it keeps the first three (eg --
background pattern is not drawn there, and the first three lines of
the boot messages stay).

In a nutshell -- yes, 1.4 boots, but not in a practically usable sense,
particularly from the console.

I'm using a 640x480 monitor with internal video, set to black and
white in the booter.

I ended up having to revert to 1.3.2.  It appears that 1.4 does
install quite a bit of extra stuff.  Even after restoring the previous
days tape archive, any screen-oriented program dumped core.  I had to
cream the whole FS with Mkfs and literally rebuild from scratch.

Any idea?  Although I admit this to being sort of unstable, I'd be
more than willing to wipe of a removable drive and do some guinea pig
testing.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu