Subject: Re: Router, gateway, or something like that
To: None <evan@router.ecmhs.org>
From: Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/1999 12:04:36
First, a question:

Do you assign IP addresses on your LAN yourself, or does your cable =

modem act as a DHCP server?

If the former, all you have to do is divide your LAN into two subnets
and set up a static IP routing table on your "router" NetBSD box.  By
*not* routing the AppleTalk traffic, you can isolate your cable modem
and keep it happy.  If you don't set up an atalk routing table on the
router box, atalk traffic won't be forwarded over the router box.

If the latter, you have two choices:

	a) Forward DHCP requests from your Macs to the cable modem.
	b) Run NAT on your router box.

For a starter, read man pages route(8), netstat(1) and some others
referenced from these.

Ken

On Sat, 22 May 1999 15:09:05 -0500, Evan Fletcher wrote:
> Hello.  I have a problem that has bothered me for a good portion of a =

> year and I have not been able to fix.  The story behind it is a =

> little long so please bear with me.
> =

> I have a cable modem and a LAN with four macs (2 running NetBSD). =

> All four macs are connected to a Asant=E9 FriendlyNet Ethernet hub wit=
h =