Subject: Re: Help with" make && make install"
To: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
From: Chris Brown <chrsbrwn@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1999 19:01:12
greg walsh wrote:

> And thanks for the input on window managers.  I imagine to try them
> out, one needs to install one, then deinstall and install another
> --correct?  I can't install several, and then just select one to be the
> active one in a config file somewhere.

Actually, the way it usually works (not specifically sure about NetBSD
because I haven't installed X on any of my boxes yet) is that there is a
system wide default file that starts up an xterm and a window manager.
You can override it by making a file in your home directory called
either .xinitrc or .Xclients (depending on how the X startup scripts are programmed).

This file should contain, at a minimum the filename of your window
manager, and any options used when starting it. Therefore, you can
change your window manager by changing this file. WindowMaker creates an
.xinitrc for you as part of the install script that is quite usable.
Your personalized window manager config files are stored in your home
directory, so there is no harm having multiple window managers
installed.

--
Chris Brown -- Macintosh networking/Web development
<chrsbrwn@mindspring.com> <http://www.mindspring.com/~chrsbrwn>