Subject: Re: Swap and foreign keyboards ?
To: None <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/19/1999 19:17:29
On Wed, 19 May 1999, Colin Wood wrote:

> Niels S. Eliasen wrote:
> > I have an additional "sd1" disk where I have the "startup disk" for
> > MacOS(SCSI-id 2) and and a slice of 60MB set up though Silverlining to act
> > as the swap device
> > disklabel for the sd0 disk is "fictitious" and the second time I ran
> > disklabel for the sd1 disk the system panic'ed .....

All the disklabels are "fictitious"; that shouldn't be a problem. Are
you running 1.4 final? I am, and I can now have / and /usr on separate
disks for the first time since 1.3K.

> change your /etc fstab to have swap on sd1b.

Also, try setting up sd1b as the dump device, too. As in

	/dev/sd1b none swap dp
	/dev/sd1b none swap sw

Without that, you'll still try to dump on sd0b, which doesn't exist.
I've had problems on mac68k before with disks with no swap, but that
was before the 'dp' option was available. It _may_ help you--it does
work fine on i386, but I have never tried on the mac. If not, you
could try my old work-around, which was to make a very tiny swap
partition on the root disk.