Subject: Re: NuBus Ethernet on Quadra 660AV
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: John Fulmer <jfulmer@appin.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/18/1999 16:57:25
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 7:43 PM -0700 5/17/99, John E. Morrow wrote:
> >I'd like to set up my Quadra 660AV to link my home network with my DSL
> >link via IP-NAT. Of course, this means I'll need a second ethernet card.
> >Can I use a nubus card with a nubus adapter on my Quadra? Anyone have
> >any suggestions as to where I could find one that will work?
>
> Also it's possible to run using only one card, but it's inefficient since
> all packets going over the DSL connection traverse the Ethernet twice.

However, you do get a little security benefit from using a dual networked
system and using NAT. I'm on a cable modem, and wouldn't like my internal
network exposed, even if I am using private, non-routable numbers. Beware
of the security on the NetBSD box, though.

Also, don't expect really good performance on thruput. The networking on
my Centris 650 (which is my mail and proxy machine) isn't exactly what I
would call stellar, but that's probably the  poor 'ole 25mhz 040 more than
anything.