Subject: Re: NuBus Ethernet on Quadra 660AV
To: John E. Morrow <jemorrow@softhome.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/18/1999 14:45:53
At 7:43 PM -0700 5/17/99, John E. Morrow wrote:
>I'd like to set up my Quadra 660AV to link my home network with my DSL
>link via IP-NAT. Of course, this means I'll need a second ethernet card.
>Can I use a nubus card with a nubus adapter on my Quadra? Anyone have
>any suggestions as to where I could find one that will work?

Earlier traffic on this list said it was easy.  Just make NetBSD a DHCP client.

Real-world advice was to only have one card in the machine and run MacOS
when they show up to install the connection.  Then you install the second
card and configure NetBSD after they leave.

Also it's possible to run using only one card, but it's inefficient since
all packets going over the DSL connection traverse the Ethernet twice.

Oh, and check the FAQ/web site for cards which work with NetBSD.  Most
Asante cards are fine.  Apple cards without 68000 co-processors are fine.
Many others also are fine, but the probability goes down as the brand/model
becomes more obscure.