Subject: Re: NetBSD vs. linux mac68k
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1999 10:53:12
Steve Revilak wrote:
> Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net> wrote:
>
> / I'm not trying to start any arguments.  But, I was wondering if
> / any one has tried that linux for the mac68k.
>
> I had, before I had even heard of NetBSD -- roughly a year and a half
> ago.  At that time, their installation was similiar, albieit a little
> more complicated: one needed to copy /etc/ files out, edit and then put
> the edited versions back in the unix filesystem.

yuck! ;-)

> With the mac68k port of linux one had the option of doing a test boot
> from a ram disk instead of having to first install the filesystem.
> Granted, there wasn't much you could do once you were there, but it did
> allow a farily painless confirmation of the fact that you machine would
> boot.

believe it or not, we've had this functionality for some time now.  it's
just that no one has produced miniroot kernels.

now that several bugs have been fixed (in the just-released 1.4), we can
move forward on sysinst-based installs again.  this should allow us to
have a much nicer install system, i hope :-)

later.

colin