Subject: Re: linux-mac68k vs port-mac68k
To: NetBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@wcnet.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1999 10:11:07
On Sun, 16 May 1999, Greg Evans wrote:

> I tried Linuxm68k.  The installation process is IMO a bit nicer than the
> NetBSD way in that it is very similar to the way RedHat Linux is
> installed.  Overall though, I like NetBSD better. I was never able to get
> networking up and running on linuxm68k, and so I re-installed NetBSD.
> Perhaps I am not enough of a unix guy to have given it enough of a
> chance, but I like NetBSD much better

I tried linux-mac68k perhaps a month ago and I had the opposite reaction
to the installation.  I believe that if I had not already been conversant
with Un*x and the NetBSD install process, I would have hadd a much more
difficult time.  I didn't bother running linux-mac68k long enough to make
any conclusions about the entire port itself.

Nevertheless, I think NetBSD stands apart from linux-68k in the quality
and availability of documentation.  With NetBSD, I followed the install
document and was up and running.  With linux-mac68k, I recall jumping all
around websites and ftp servers trying to put together all the necessary
pieces of information.

Jeff Ohlmann