Subject: Re: Diskless Quadra 700?
To: None <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1999 10:55:09
Matthew Reilly wrote:
> Would it be possible to boot my Quadra 700 from a ramdisk that lives on
> my MacOS partition and then disconnect/power down the HD? The box has 70
> megs of ram so that shouldn't be a problem. I want to use it as a NAT
> router so I would only need a minimal system on the ramdisk. Anyone ever
> tried this or anything similar?

it should be quite possible (except for the powering down the hard drive
part...unless it's an external drive, either way, it's not a good idea to
disconnect SCSI devices while the machine is on)

take a look at the miniroot setup (/usr/src/distrib/miniroot) for some
idea of how to create a ramdisk.  i think there may also be a RAMDISK
kernel config.

i hope this helps.

later.

colin