Subject: Re: cp /dev/tty0 /dev/modem, kppp
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1999 19:53:20
On Mon, 3 May 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 7:05 AM -0700 5/2/99, Guy Santiglia wrote:
> >  I was trying to set up kppp in the kde package.  In kppp they give you
> >a choice of device names, like /dev/modem and such but they don't give me
> >tty00, which I need for my quadra610.  I tried a symbolic link:
> >ln -s /dev/tty00 /dev/modem
>
> man mknod
>
> Those are device files, not real ones.  You can do a ls -l on /dev/tty0 to
> find the major/minor device numbers and whether it's a character or block
> type device.  Then you use mknod to create a new special file to point at
> the same device driver inside the kernel.
>
> # cd /dev
> # ls -l tty00
> 0 crw-------  1  uucp  wheel   12, 0 Mar 19  1998 tty00
> # mknod modem c 12 0
> # ls -l modem
> 0 crw-------  1  uucp  wheel   12, 0 May 3  1998  modem
>
> Above info copied by hand.  Don't trust it.  It could be different for your
> revision of MacBSD anyway.  Good luck.
>
> Also don't forget to update your nonstandard device files when you upgrade
> to a new version.  That's why this is maybe not a great idea.  It's just
> easy.

   I gave this a try and it didn't work.  It seems to connect but then when I
try to use the PPP link, I get the "pppd" died unexpectedly message and I can
here the modem "click" off line.  The same as when I symbolic linked the tty00
file to the /dev/modem.  I'll have to try something else.

Take care,

		Guy

Guy Santiglia  Quadra 610, NetBSD 1.3.3!
South Korea