Subject: Re: ssh via pkgsrc, Where to define USE_RSAREF????
To: Greg Evans <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1999 13:02:57
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Greg Evans wrote:

> So by adding in the RSAREF stuff does that provide for bett encryption or
> ??? I don't really even understand exactly what RSAREF does/is...sorry
> for sounding ignorant here, but in this case I truly am

Well, it is pretty puzzling, and now your news that RSARef is no
longer distributed makes it even worse. RSARef is (was) RSA's freeware
implementation. Using it, which was never permitted outside the US
because of export restrictions, was intended to comply with patent
law. Outside the US, unencumbered by export restrictions or RSA's
dubious patent, the SSLeay people developed an independant
implementation of the RSA stuff. That one shouldn't be used inside the
US because it steps on RSA's patent. At least that's the way I
understand it.