Subject: networking strangeness
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Zeller <zelr_ss@troi.cc.rochester.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/29/1999 16:50:08
Hello,

	I am having the same problem that Jeffrey Ohlmann had a few weeks
ago.  My NetBSD/mac68k machine was working well, networking functioning
normally.  Then I needed to reboot the machine because I needed to access
some files on the HFS partition of the drive.

While booting back up again, I got the following message:

ae0: warning - receiver ring buffer overflow
hostname: yak
domainname: cc.rochester.edu
configuring network interfaces: ae0ifconfig: yak: bad value.
writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
add net default: gateway 128.151.218.250: Network is unreachable

The receiver ring buffer overflow error is normal -- this message appears at
boot time and about once an hour normally.  It doesn't appear to affect the
functioning of the machine.  After fully booting, network tasks fail with a
"no route to host" error.

Here's my ifconfig output:

yak% ifconfig ae0
ae0: flags=8822(BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST) mtu 1500
        media: manual
        inet 0.0.0 netmask 0x0

yak% less /etc/ifconfig.ae0
inet yak netmask 255.255.255.0

Does anyone know what is up?  I am using a standard Apple NuBus card in a
IIci, using a snapshot from around January and a generic-SBC kernel.  I have
a feeling that this is a really stupid error staring me in the face
somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Ben