Subject: Re: Cable Modem woes ;)
To: None <raisplin@rcn.com>
From: Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1999 12:22:31
On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:54:21 -0500, Greg Eavns wrote:

> I just got off the phone with my cable provider and inquired as to how
> the cable modem actually did the dialing out.  This is what I was told.
>
> If you send packets to the cable modem (e.g. start pinging it) it will
> automagically dial out to the 'net and connect.

No surprise.  That's what it's supposed to do.

> I am wondering if perhaps I am going about this wrong and should just set
> it up as an ethernet network instead with my cable modem (216.164.32.40
> (listed as router address on mac side)) listed as the router.

Actually, I can't tell what your problem is, from what you described
in the previous message you posted to port-mac68k.  I can't from this,
either.  One problem is you didn't tell us how you've set up your
network interface.  What are the relevant lines in your /etc/rc.conf,
/etc/ifconfig.*, etc.?

> I have my concerns about this obviously, as my IP address is Dynamically
> assigned, however I was also told by the technical support people that
> while it is indeed a DHCP assigned address it _will_ always be the same
> unless they have some need to change it, and/or I get a new cable modem
> from them in the event that the one I currently have goes bad

Then use the same address until you swap the cable modem.  I don't see
a problem in that.

Ken