Subject: Re: how to make harddisks sleep
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1998 21:32:12
On Sat, Oct 31, 1998 at 08:08:43PM +0900, Ken Nakata wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 16:20:07 +0900, =1B$B5\>k0BAm=1B(B wrote:
> > Anyone knows how to stop spinning of harddisks of bsd box?=20
>=20
> For one thing, update daemon syncs
> (flushes unwritten data in the buffers to the drives) once every 30
> seconds.

  Not that I recommend doing so, but this can be changed to every
5 seconds or every 10 minutes or every 7 days :) -- the time to
sleep (in seconds) is an optional argument to update(8).

  Slightly-related, on i386 machines, I've enabled BIOS drive
spin-down before, and had the disk spin down under NetBSD.  It
doesn't wake up every thirty seconds if the machine is completely
idle.  So maybe sync doesn't do anything if there's nothing to
do???

  Happy hacking!

  Brian
--=20
"Look at the figures in the book.  Cheng (the author) draws better than I c=
an."
  Dr. Tittel, ELEC 305