Subject: Re: IIsi Ethernet
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Dair Grant <dair@dircon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1998 18:51:11
Colin Wood wrote:

>the apple ethernet nb cards _do_ have sonic chips on them, but the usually
>had a 68000 on them as well.  does _your_ card have a 68k processor on it?
>if so, it's not supported.
>
>there was some kind of ethernet card made by apple (ethertalk nb?) which
>did _not_ have a 68k processor on it, and i believe that they work under
>netbsd.  it's also possible that apple made some ethernet nb cards w/o the
>68k processor.
>
>> Is there anything I can do to get NetBSD running with this card?
>
>if your card doesn't in fact have a 68k processor on it, then maybe so.
>otherwise, probably not :-(

I took the card out and had a closer look: I can't see any Motorola chips
on the Ethernet card itself. The chips that are present on the card are:

 1 Valor SF1043
 1 Sonic DP83934
 1 AMD
 2 Texas Instruments
 2 unbadged (but too small to be a 68k)
 4 NEC

The only Motorola chip that's visible anywhere is the 68882 on the Nubus
adaptor.

-dair

(Work)  mailto:dair@lightwork.co.uk  http://www.lightwork.com/
(!Work) mailto:dair@kagi.com         http://www.kagi.com/dair/