Subject: Re: Wordperfect on NetBSD/mac68k
To: Mattias Andersson <mattias.andersson@mailbox.swipnet.se>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1998 11:57:22
At 6:22 AM +0000 10/27/98, Mattias Andersson wrote:
>On an e-maillist I found the following:
>"I slaget om Linux, s=E5 l=E5ter Corel meddela att i november kan anv=E4nda=
re av
>Linux, ladda ner WordPerfect 8 Personal Edition utan kostand fr=E5n webben.
>WP =E4r ett officeprogram med ordbehandling och kalkyl m.m.
>http://www.corel.com/news/1998/october/linux.htm"
>
>In english this means that Corel ships its office offering for Linux
>in november for free!
>My wuestion is if it's possible to compile a version f=F6r NetBSD?
>Wouldn't that be neat to have an office box on old mac IIs!?

no, unfortunately.

Corel is developing their Wordperfect suite for Linux/x86 machines, due to
the overwhelmingly increasing number of people that use linux/x86. it would
be really cool if Corel ported Wordperfect to linux/ppc, too, but i don't
think there's enough of a userbase.

You can't compile a version for NetBSD because the source code is not
distributed along with the linux/x86 version. It will be an executable
binary and all of the files related to it.

same type of deal with Netscape Communicator...there was no NetBSD/mac68k
version until Netscape released the source code to mozilla, which allowed
people to port Netscape to whatever they wanted.  However, Netscape had
been releasing binaries for linux/x86 systems for the years prior to the
release of the source code.

"for free" just means they're giving copies of it away for free...probably
to gain popularity.  Wordperfect is fairly decent. I won a mac version at a
MacWorld Expo a few years back and use it all the time.

later,

  - a