Subject: Re: Free WordPerfect for Linux
To: None <mattias.andersson@mailbox.swipnet.se, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ruschmeyer, John, BGM <jruschme@att.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1998 10:41:19
>On an e-maillist I found the following:
>"I slaget om Linux, s=E5 l=E5ter Corel meddela att i november kan
anv=E4ndare av
>Linux, ladda ner WordPerfect 8 Personal Edition utan kostand fr=E5n webben.

>WP =E4r ett officeprogram med ordbehandling och kalkyl m.m.
>http://www.corel.com/news/1998/october/linux.htm"
>
>In english this means that Corel ships its office offering for Linux
>in november for free!
>My wuestion is if it's possible to compile a version f=F6r NetBSD?
>Wouldn't that be neat to have an office box on old mac IIs!?

Well, although the news is very good for i386 users, it really doesn't help
us all that much in Mac68k land.

The problem is that Corel has only committed to providing a free personal
edition of WordPerfect for Linux on x86 and ARM (NetWinder). They have also
made some indications of a possible similar deal for other Linux platforms
(presumably Alpha and PPC).

What they did not do is make WordPerfect 8 into an OpenSource product. Had
they done that, then it would probably be possible to build native NetBSD
executables, even for the Mac68k. (WordPerfect has already been ported to a
number a commercial Unices, so we can assume the sources are "reasonably"
porable.)

OTOH, Linux/68k is too undeveloped and probably too small a market for Corel
to bother with. Even so, I don't believe that NetBSD has Linux emulation in
any of the m68k ports. (Do we do it on *any* non-x86 port?)

I suspect that the best hope for an office suite will come out of one of the
OpenSource efforts, such as kOffice. That, or for someone to write a
NetBSD/mac68k equivalent to SheepShaver. :-)

<<<John>>>
<<<John>>>

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad