Subject: Re: Install failure
To: None <mjm@brown.edu, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/1998 08:12:56
 Mahesh Madhav wrote:

>you need to have bsd be the first couple partitions. it cannot be the
>higher partitions.

Thanks! It looks like that was the problem, all right! The install has been
running since 1600 yesterday without a bobble (I am installing the sources
too!)

I had wondered why it worked before, but not this time. The reason is that
this time I used the current version (4.1) of the APS driver to do the
formatting & partitioning, and it insist on creating the following
partitions:

0	partition map
1	driver
2	driver (!)
3	Apple Patches

and only then will it permit you to add your own partitions! It will not
let you delete any of the above.
So I backed up to APS Driver 4.0.9, and was able to creat a smaller number
of partitions.

I have added your advice to my copy of the "Install" instructions, & I
recommend that it be added to the official copy.

>also, try the newer distros at
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/

I'll look, but I need the sources as well as the binaries.