Subject: Re: new disk problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1998 20:07:43
>In principle, NetBSD/mac68k sees a total of 8 (eight) partitions per disk.
>The others are ignored and are not accessible; the kernel's choice is
>somewhat less than intuitive, especially if you change, remove and add a
>few partitions with the MacOS formatter.
>The whole thing sucks, if you ask me (I know, you haven't ;).

Actually, to my knowlege, NetBSD sees a total of 12 or 16 partitions (I
can't remember which). It can't access anything more than 8 NETBSD
partitions, but it sees the higher ones. So if you had 3 NetBSD, then 6
MacOS, then 3 more NetBSD, you'd have a total of 12, and NetBSD should (in
theory) be able to mount them all. But if you had 12 NetBSD partitions, it
can only use the first 8.

That's what SHOULD happen.

I think it's OK as far as seeing the data itself, but it seems to be
finicky about exactly what's written in the partition map itself. Someone a
month or two ago manually changed it by editing the disk by hand & got it
to work (although that can be a dangerous thing to try).There's definitely
a problem with it, but I don't know that anyone even really knows what's
wrong, much less how to fix it, other than using NetBSD tools to format the
drive. & doing a reverse-mkfs with a Mac formatter to change the last
partitions back to MacOS (if we could get a NetBSD-based formatter that can
write Mac-style partition maps). I think that would be the sanest way since
there's too many questions because of the plethora  of MacOS HD formatting
software (FWB, LaCie, Drive7, Apple, etc) and each one does it slightly
differently. Perhaps a disk image/RAM disk with the booter's load kernel
from MacOS option could accomplish this?

Just some random thoughts,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.