Subject: Re: new disk problems
To: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1998 15:10:24
On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Dave Schmitt wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade from a 700MB drive to a 3.2GB drive but am having
> some problems. I'm running NetBSD 1.3.1 on a MacIIci w/ a generic SBC
> kernel. I partitioned the new drive w/ FWB HDT 2.5 and then used the current
> version of mkfs to convert and format the root and usr partitions. I fired
> up the installer to see what partition letters to use on the new drive (sd1a
> for root, sd1e,f,h,i,j for the 5 user type partitions) and then made

Uhm, keep in mind that NetBSD only supports partitions a through h at the
moment. The installer is lying. Either the "i" and "j" partitions will
appear with different letters, or they won't appear at all.

> appropriate entries in /etc/fstab to mount them (non-automaticly) in subdirs
> I created under /mnt.
>
> However, when I try to mount /dev/rsd1a (300 MB root partition on the 3.2 GB
> drive) I get a message that I need to fsck it first. When I try to do this,
> the machine just sits there; the disk access LED on the drive never blinks
> and AFAICT absolutely nothing is happening as there is no output from fsck
> whatsoever. If I try to interrupt it w/ ^C, a panic ensues. Could this be an
> NCR vs SBC driver thing or is there something I screwed up? The 3.2 GB drive
> is a Quantum Fireball ST and the 700 is also a Quantum drive (which came
> with a PowerMac 7100) if that helps.

Sounds like an sbc vs ncr thing.

> Barring any better suggestions, I am going to attempt to back up the files
> on the 700MB drive to another machine on the network and then install the
> distribution sets (prolly 1.3.2) on the 3.2GB drive from MacOS...

Try a 1.3.2 kernel anyway, and see what happens. There might have been a
bug fix (though I'm not sure of one).

Take care,

Bill