Subject: Re: problem w/ NetBSD on a Powerbook Duo 230
To: Christopher Pinon <pinon@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1998 11:06:47
Christopher Pinon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to both NetBSD and this list.
>
> My goal is to successfully boot NetBSD 1.3.2 on a Zip disk (in a Zip drive)
> that is connected to my Powerbook Duo 230 (68030, no FPU, 12 Mb Ram, 80 Mb
> HD).  The good news is that it almost works; the bad news is that I don't
> understand why it doesn't.

[snip]

> 4. The final step was to try to boot the system.  I made minimal changes to
> the configuration of the Booter (e.g., I changed the SCSI ID to 5).  I had
> already turned off Mac OS virtual memory and extensions (except for the
> Iomega driver extension), etc.  Then I tried to boot.  The funny thing is
> that everything seemed to go well, i.e., I saw none of the error messages
> mentioned in the FAQ, and the "Bye-bye ..." message even briefly appeared.
> However, the booting ended with the following lines at the top of a white
> screen:
>
> [ preserving 323395 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
> Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
> Getting mapping from MMU.
>
> The cursor froze just below the third line---I couldn't type anything.
> Waiting a long while didn't help.  All that I could do was to bring
> everything down by restarting the Duo.

The basic problem is that I'm fairly sure NetBSD 1.3.2 does _not_ support
your Mac.  It's conceivable that -current does support it, but I'm not too
sure anyone has tried booting a duo lately.  There is also the minor
problem that -current kernels haven't been behaving very well for the last
2 months :-(

Fortunately, I've heard reports that -current may be stablizing somewhat,
so perhaps Steve'll manage to compile a new set of binaries that you can
try somewhat soon.  Oh, btw, you can find NetBSD-current binaries here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/binary/sets

(At least I think that's it :-)

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation