Subject: Re: ispell
To: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1998 11:18:38
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Joe Laffey wrote:

> I know exaclty what you are talking about. I have been calling the release
> distributions "sets" because that's the name of the directory on the ftp
> server. The packages I call packages (duh..).

Ok. :-) Then the misc set is the one you want. Just download it, and untar
it while root in the root directory. You'll be set!

> The question is.. How can I help to move some of the sets into packages?

I think the idea is the sets will stay sets, just they will be installable
using the package tools. Probably the best way to help would be to learn
more about the package system, and then move into it more strongly.

Though I think the distribution will always stay a bit different in that
we'll keep the full source in tree.

> If someone with know-how could set up a webpage detailing the manufacture
> of packages I bet we would have a lot more of them. I would be happy to
> set some up. I've checked out the pkg_create man page. It doesn't look too
> terribly tough. The man page mentions using some kind of front-end program
> instead of pakg_create directly. What would that program be?

Colin mentioned a web page, which is about it for now. It's great for
making a FreeBSD port a NetBSD package, but is weak on NetBSD-only
packages (making one from scratch). But there's tech-pkg (sp?), which
should help too.

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill