Subject: Re: ispell
To: None <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1998 09:28:11
Joe Laffey wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Joe Laffey wrote:
> >
> > > I don't have either of those files. I don't see them in the misc part of
> > > the pkgsrc either. Am I missing something here?
> >
> > Yep. To most of the NetBSD folks there's a difference between the main
> > distribution and the packages. To you, and to most of the folks who have
> > recently found NetBSD, there's not as clear a difference. That's not to
> > say you're doing anything wrong. If anything, we need to make the
> > documents clearer.
>
> I know exaclty what you are talking about. I have been calling the release
> distributions "sets" because that's the name of the directory on the ftp
> server. The packages I call packages (duh..).

ah, well, just download the misc.tgz distribution set then, and you'll be
fine on this one :-)

> The question is.. How can I help to move some of the sets into packages?

that's something that's being debated at the moment.  i kinda doubt it'll
be resolved soon.

> If someone with know-how could set up a webpage detailing the manufacture
> of packages I bet we would have a lot more of them. I would be happy to
> set some up. I've checked out the pkg_create man page. It doesn't look too
> terribly tough. The man page mentions using some kind of front-end program
> instead of pakg_create directly. What would that program be?

i'm not positive that this is the right url, but try:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/Packages.txt

if that's not it, you can find it by choosing the documentation link off
the main page.  that page should fully describe how to create packages of
your own.

if you do create any packages, please submit their whereabouts via
send-pr(1) or the send-pr web page.

good luck!

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation