Subject: Re: daemon news helper
To: Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
From: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1998 20:46:57
Chris Coleman wrote:

> Can you write an article on your experience getting NetBSD setup?  Maybe a
> journal/log type article.  Something like "Adventure in BSD".
>
> Write it up and send it to  us, and we will see what we can do with it.
>
>         -Chris

Hi Chris!
Well, okay, but I'm in port-mac68k@netbsd.org version of NetBSD-1.3.2.
and those guys are extremely talented in setting up NetBSD on all
different versions of the macintosh "m68k" hardware. I came crying to
them over and over again at every step of setting up my NetBSD box. I
got stuck at what seems like every step, and thus learned about RTFM, or
"Read the FAQs Manual" since like most newcommers to NetBSD without a
Unix back ground have similar questions. So...

I will do a draft and send it to port-mac68k@netbsd.org for feedback,
then forward it on to you.

Is that a good plan, or were you wanting something else?

I'm constantly making mistakes and would rather like to get some NetBSD
knowlegable people's comments before potentially misrepresenting the
NetBSD crowd. I'm subscribed to two versions of Unix on the macintosh
(NetBSD and Linux) and each is rapidly changing as users interact. I
just checked out a recent summary of NetBSD's package system, which is
very exciting! Looks like FreeBSD's package philosphy is taking the Unix
community in an exciting direction! Sure beats hunting down broken
Makefile scripts of the past. Some source code I have from others STILL
dosen't even have makefiles! I've got this fast3d source code from
europe...well that a different story for sure!

Well, it's 8:30pm at CSULB's unix lab and they're kicking me out in a
couple of hours, so I gotta go.

I'll Cc you a draft.

Ciao,

Brian Wildasinn