Subject: Re: installing NetBSD Packages Collection from behind a proxy
To: Carlos Terre <cterre@activ.es>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1998 10:12:07
On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Carlos Terre wrote:

> What is to be configured in order to have the NetBSD Packages Collection
> working when the NetBSD machine has internet access by means of a proxy
> server (or firewall)???
>
> When I want to ftp ftp.netbsd.org I do:
>
> ftp proxy
> login:anonymous@ftp.netbsd.org
> password:cterre@activ.es

First of all, I suggest creating a .netrc file in your home directory,
so that you will not be prompted for the password. At minimum, it
should contain the single line, (if not that, the last line should be)

default login anonymous password cterre@activ.es

The file has to be chmod 600 and owned by you. If you ftp from root's
login, you will also need a copy in /root, also chmod 600, and owned
by root.

I don't use an ftp proxy, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.
According to the ftp man page, ftp respects the ``ftp_proxy''
envirnonment variable. With that, can you get ftp to work on one line?
Perhaps something like

	set ftp_proxy=proxy; export proxy

and then

	ftp ftp://host.com/and/so/on

If that works, then "make fetch" should also work, as long as
ftp_proxy is still set in your environment.

> The problem is that I have looked into bsd.pkg.mk (the file that is
> included into Makefile when a package is to be installed) and saw there
> are some settings for passive use when a firewall is being used... but I
> have no clue where they are!!!

"Passive" ftp is something else entirely. Since it's enabled by
default anyway, you obviously need to do more than that to get
through your firewall. That is to say, you must use the proxy.