Subject: Re: Boot Problem -- ttyflags lock it up - *solved*
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1998 00:02:14
Hi all!

Well...  Back from vacation, almost over one hell of a sinus cold, and
close to being caught up.  Might as well play with NetBSD for a while.

To recap: I'd had boot problems with 1.3.2 on an 840av that were traced
to an offending serial device (Epson 800 printer)

>>On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

[snip]

>> I thought this was the initial problem - your chip drivers
>>were oscilating which'd generate lots of interupts.

>>> If so it is available in
>>> ftp://macbsd.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/users/hotz/patchz8530.  If you don't
>>>want to
>>> compile a custom kernel with the patch you can download the
>>>netbsd.hotz5
>>> kernel in the same directory.

Since I've never compiled anything before, I downloaded the "hotz5"
kernel.  I used the installer and installed it on the root
partition/root directory under the name NetBSD. Then I rebuilt the
devices, plugged in the serial printer and booted the machine.

The boot got stuck in the same place again.  When I pulled the serial
plug out of the printer, the boot continued without a hitch.

Did I do something wrong in the install process, or do I have a new
varient of an old problem?

Thanks guys

----
greg walsh ::  Artec Communications  -  gwalsh@artec.com