Subject: Re: fsck-ing a drive
To: None <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1998 11:31:16
Joe Laffey wrote:
> I'm trying to fsck a mounted drive. I first do:
> mount -ur /dev/sd1g /slash/usr
>
> That works.
>
> Then I try:
> fsck -f /dev/sd1g
>
> and I get :
> fsck: cannot open `/dev/sd1g': Device busy
>
> I don't believe that I have any open files on that filesystem.
>
> Ideas?

1) Don't ever fsck a mounted drive if you can avoid it.  If you have to
fsck a mounted drive, immediately do a 'reboot -n' afterwards.

2) You can't fsck the block device.  You have to fsck the raw device, I
believe.  So:

fsck -f /dev/rd1g

might work.  I'd still suggest doing on the drive while it's unmounted,
tho.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation