Subject: Re: Classic II (32bit booting ?)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Takashi Ikemi <ikemi@xa2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1998 12:15:35
At 11:09 PM 98.10.16, lechafoinz.vav@france-mail.com wrote:
> Okay, I have just a Classic II with 4MB of RAM
> Okay, my hard drive is just a 40MB one
> Okay, i run system 7.0.1
> ハハハ I admit all these things ! but will I be able to boot in the 32bit
>adressing mode ?
> ハハハ Each time I've, tried I got an error (after loading every extensions
>but before opening the Finder) and I must reboot holding down the shift
>key. So I can't launch the Booter. Does someone know where is the problem
>?
[snip]

Classic II is 32 bit clean, which means that you can turn it into 32bit
mode just turning on the 32-bit mode switch in the Memory control panel in
System folder.

You need to restart the MacOS to have the 32bit setting to work, but you
don't need to have the Memory control panel loaded, once you have made the
setting. Besides, you should rather boot your sytem without any extensions
at all (holding down the shift-key) in order to avoid conflicts and to make
enough memory space to launch the MacBSD booter. System 7.0.1 is, in that
sense, ideal for your setting.

Takashi Ikemi,
ikemi@xa2.so-net.ne.jp